Originally from the United Kingdom, Oxford shoes have been a classic model made of leather that imposes elegance on clothing.
However, it is widespread today to see them in different types of outfits and models.
- 1 How to Wear Oxford Shoes
How to Wear Oxford Shoes
That is why this type of shoe is the ideal to give a special touch to the look you want since they combine with almost all types of clothes and you will always look good.
How to use oxford shoes: styles and outfit
Oxford shoes can be a double-edged sword if you’re not used to integrating them into your style, that’s why you need to follow these tips if you want to get it right when you combine them with your outfit of the day.
The simple model: Black Oxford
This type of Oxford traditionally consists of quarters and vamp. There is no stretch (a piece of leather on the tip of the shoe) nor brogue (several pieces of leather with decorative perforations).
This style of shoes is both simple but elegant. In general, the choice of colour is on the black because they are worn for special occasions where the wearing of the tuxedo is de rigueur.
Regarding the material, it is either patent leather or glossy calfskin.
The Oxfords with cap toe:
This is probably the most common style of Oxford shoes. The most popular colour is black but can also be found in brown, cognac, burgundy.
This time in addition to the presence of the quarters and the antenna on the shoe, there is also the cap on the tip of the shoe.
This type of Oxford is much worn by businessmen with proper business-formal attire.
On the other hand, stretch Oxfords are not formal enough for White tie and Black Tie dress codes.
You can wear these types of shoes with casual outfits but avoid the black instead choose colours such as light brown, cognac, brown.
The wingtip Oxfords:
This type of shoes is recognizable from the leather extensions with decorative perforations on the sides of the shoe.
This type of Oxford may be incorporated into more casual outfits than with stretch Oxfords.
For example, we can imagine a pair of Oxford wingtip brown with a pair of jeans or with a tweed.
However, if you choose them in black, you can quite wear them at the office with a suit.
The Oxfords saddle:
This type of shoe model has two extra leather pieces on the side of the shoe with a contrasting colour to the rest of the shoe.
The Kiltie Oxfords:
These shoes are distinguished above all by the presence of a leather fringe on the top of the shoe.
Whether it’s the saddle model or the Kiltie model, these are two types of shoes that will go perfectly in casual outfits.
You can wear them without any problem with jeans or a chino. The difficulty is to find a good harmony between the colours of your outfit because these shoes are two-coloured.
For information, many golfers wear saddle models with a specific studded sole
The different ways in which these shoes can be used for both men and women are listed below:
- The best way to use Oxford shoes is without socks since they do not need them and stand out more showing a part of the ankle, however for men it can be combined with coloured socks depending on the outfit.
- You can use all types of pants except sports with this model, both formal and informal and can be straight or skinny as they combine with everything. In case of using casual pants, this can be rolled up so that the Oxford looks more.
- The colour will depend entirely on the outfit to choose, most of these shoes look better in the original brown colour. It can be combined with most colours and looks good. Here is also the black colour that blends with any colour and is elegant. These shoes can currently be found for women in other more striking colours such as pink, beige, gold and with different prints that can look good for them with informal outfits.
- There are different types of Oxford shoes. First is the classic called everyday shoe that has no ornamentation. There is a legate shoe that has discreet stitching at the seams, the semi-brogue shoe that has stitches at the seams and on the toe of the shoe. And finally, the full brogue that with the dots creates shapes in the toe of the shoe. So there is a lot of variety within the same type of shoe to look different.
Now that you know what the basic rules are to use Oxford shoes, you can look good on any occasion with them. Remember, badly combined shoes can ruin your look!